This recipe is so delicious! I had a similar salad at one of my friends baby showers recently and fell in love with it. So I went to find something similar online today and found a recipe that came out of the Cooking Light April 2010 issue. It can either be a starter salad or main dish. I use it for both (main dish for lunch and starter salad for dinner). The herb vinaigrette dressing is very tasty! I made some minor modifications to this recipe which I’ll note as optional below.
Spinach & Arugula Salad with Strawberries and Toasted Almonds
- 1.5 cups quartered strawberries
- 1/4 cup Easy Herb Vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint (optional – I didn’t have this so I used a little dry mint in the dressing)
- 1 (6 oz) package fresh baby spinach
- 1 (6 oz) package of Arugula (optional – I added this as I like arugula)
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently to coat (only add a little of the vinaigrette, 1-2 tbsp, as the lettuce will wilt). Sprinkle with almonds and pepper; serve immediately.
Easy Herb Vinaigrette
This recipe makes plenty of dressing to keep on hand. It’s just plain tasty.
- 9 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp wildflower honey
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 3 tbsp minced fresh chives
- Combine the first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl; slowly whisk in oil until combined. Stir in basil and chives. I puréed it so I could keep it in a dressing container but you don’t have to. Store, covered, in refrigerator for up to 5 days.