Another yummy recipe out of Kelli & Peter Bronski’s Gluten-Free cookbook. I love pesto and usually make it with pine nuts but this recipe uses walnuts which is a new twist for me and makes it kinda fun. I’m planning on starting a herb garden this year so I want to add more recipes that utilize fresh herbs from my garden. I have to admit I haven’t tried this yet, however, I’m adding it to my collection as I want to try it soon! (plus you can’t really go wrong with pesto)
- 1 & 1/4 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- salt & pepper to taste
- add to any kind of pasta – use gluten-free if you would like a healthier version
- Puree the basil, olive oil, walnuts, parmesan, garlic, and salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain.
- Toss the hot pasta with pesto in a large bowl and serve.
Note: you can heat the pesto in a pot on the stove, but be careful – too much heat is evil for pesto (the cheese in the pesto sauce sticks to the pan).